avant-garde films-- what I think

I never thought I'd actually be assigned to watch movies for homework, but I guess that's film class! Obviously not just any movies though, the specific genre was avant-garde or experimental films, which as a novice movie watcher I had never ventured to watch before. Honestly though even with the mere two movies I watched, La Jetée(1962) and Orpheus(1950), I feel like I've learned heaps of things from them. 
My initial reaction when watching these films was definitely confusion. I can't read the characters or understand their motives, but I feel like if that's all you care about when watching these kinds of films, you're entirely missing the point. The people who made these were thinking beyond the traditional way of doing things, and they showed feelings and actions through totally unconditional means. Surprisingly to myself, I liked both the movies I watched; interesting that before I even watched them I told myself I wouldn't like them. What I really liked about La Jetée was the way it looped around in the end. Throughout the film, I had many questions, but even though they went unanswered I still felt totally satisfied with the ending. The way this film was portrayed, with only images and voiceover, created an extremely unique mood that made it so you would fill in the gaps. Every person that watches this would be watching a slightly different film. It was really weird but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inciting Incident -- Spirited Away

French New Wave